Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Iowa Core

The Iowa Core website will be a website I look at frequently while I am a teacher.  Every lesson I plan will have a content standard from the Iowa Core.  The Iowa Core and the website have been discussed in numerous of my classes.  I have heard that districts split the content up between grade levels, so I like becoming familiar with the website.  I also think it is interesting that Iowa doesn't follow the national standards, but made their own.  I clicked on the science grades 3-5 and it gives me all of the standards in science as inquiry, earth and space, life science, and physical science.  I don't understand all of the standards but when I click on the star it has bullet points that explains the standard.  Right now looking at all of the standards, it makes me nervous for my first year of teaching.  It's hard to think about covering all the science standards and then have to cover the math, literacy, and social studies standards.  Before the teacher education program I didn't realize teachers went by standards.  In my elementary classes I remember just going from textbook to textbook for subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment